Thursday, October 16, 2014

Getting To Know The Cre8ive Crew: Rachél Payne

 Meet the wonderful Rachél Payne (sounds like Rah-shel) from just off the coast in South Texas.



When asked, “What kind of art is your passion?” She said, “ That is a big question for me.  I do lots of different kinds of art, including mixed media, assemblage and wire work, but my passion is for art that is about healing or exploring something of the self and of life.”

Describe your personality in three words.  

Quirky, Spiritual, Nurturing

When/how did you realize your life had to have art in it?  

In college, I started journaling with pictures, not just words.  Somehow what I was drawing was helping me heal my heart, but so was the permission I was giving myself to create in this new medium.  For some people art is risky at first. It was for me, until I decided life was better with it than without!

Would you say your entire way of life is creative?  

Yes, I even married an artist! We live in a little cottage with another artist, have art parties, and look at our desires in life as opportunities to craft the way we wish to live.

Whats your superpower?  

I am a great space holder.  When another person needs to explore some aspect of their own life, to grow, to stretch, to dive deep, or spread their wings and fly, I love to have their back and stand in support of them.


Rachél's Angel


How did you get started...who inspired you?  

My journey as a creativity enthusiast started with my mom.  She was an artist and approached life with a spirit to always make something beautiful out of what she touched. She passed away just as I was becoming a young woman, and I inherited her art supplies.  I used them to get to know her better and in the process discovered something beautiful about myself….. my own creative spirit.

If you could hang out with any artist dead or alive who would it be and why?

My mom!  Just before she passed, we sat on the couch I was about to buy and talked about spending afternoons drinking tea and visiting.  I would love to show her the art she has inspired in my life.  Although, sometimes I feel like she has been on the front row cheering me on all these years!

Do you believe that only some are creative or that everyone is creative in some way? Why?  

I believe we are all creative but that our culture gives us messages that creating is for a limited few.  I learned to draw and paint in my 20’s without any prior background.  I discovered that those are just skills….like learning the ABC’s or 123’s.  We used to tell some people that they could not read or right….or should not.  Don’t let anyone take that away! You are creative!

If you could change your name what would it be?  

Well, I did change my name.  (giggle) When I was 24, I had a name changing ceremony as part of my birthday and chose to go by my middle name Rachél (which sounds like Rah-shel) instead of my first name, Dawn.  

Rachél's Mermaid


What’s your least favorite food? ...most favorite? 

Least: organ meat  Most: Italian and chocolate, not necessarily in that order and not necessarily together.

Are you an introvert or extrovert? How do you feel about that?  

I think I am an introvert who is very comfortable with her extroverted self.  They say introverts recharge when alone.  I think that is the case for me.  But I also love to be a bit outrageous!

Choose an imaginary friend who would it be and why? 

Oh, this is sad, but true.  Our bestest cat, Schatzie (which means Sweetheart in German) passed away recently.  It would have to be her.  We would stay up late, cuddle, and eat watermelon together.

What’s your most embarrassing moment? (Please keep it clean)  

During a performance of Midsummer Night’s Dream, I fell on stage as part of a chase scene and forgot the next line.  I covered by shouting, “I’m gunna git you!”  Not very Shakespearean! 


For more of Rachél’s art and spiritual journey please click the links below:


No comments:

Post a Comment