Monday, October 20, 2014

Getting To Know The Cre8ive Crew: Joana Carvalho

Our next artist is a unique gal and her name is Joana Carvalho.

 She is originally from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil but has been living in Southern California with her husband and 2 children for 9 years.




What kind of art is your passion?

The colorful kind. Mixed media, but mainly acrylic paint.


How often do you create? 

Not enough! It's hard to make time to paint, especially with 2 small kids at home! I try to go in my studio daily, but it doesn't happen all the time.

How does it make you feel when you're creating something? 

Depends on the stage of the painting! When I like where it's going I feel great, but during the 'ugly' stage it's just frustrating!


How do you know when a piece is finished? 

I used to think about that a lot when I started painting, and always thought it would be a big problem for me. But it isn't. I just let the painting sit overnight and when I look at it the next day, I just know.

When/how did you realize your life had to have art in it?

Not early enough! I've always been creative and liked arts in general, but had a preconceived notion of what it meant to be an 'artist'. And I didn't think I had it in me. So I stuck with graphic Design for a few years before taking the leap.

Joana's Abstract


How has your view of life (art) changed over the last 5, 10 years? 20 Years? 

Well, today I no longer think that just a lucky few are 'special' and talented enough to be called 'artists'. I think anybody can paint or do something creative. They just have to let go of the fear.

Tell us how your creativity blends over into the rest of your life? 

Hmmm, let's see...I make cute tags for my kids' toy bins, I make labels out of washi tape for EVERYTHING in my home...that kind of thing.

Whats your superpower? 

I used to think it was speed - because I do work fast. But lately I've come to realize that speed might actually be my 'kryptonite', and it's just a symptom of my anxiety to get things done!

Which side of the bed do you sleep on? Can you sleep if forced to change sides? 

Currently on the right side, but we switch every once in awhile.

Joana's Abstract #2


If money were no object in what country, place, or on what planet would you live? ...and why? 

If money were no object I think I would be traveling all over! And then I would decide where to live!

Are you an introvert or extrovert? 

How do you feel about that? Introvert. Wish I wasn't though.

Whats your most embarrassing moment? 

Walking into a glass door, face first! Ouch!

If we all came to your house for dinner what would you make for us?

Something with tomato sauce, which is pretty much the only thing I know how to make. ;-)

Joana's Abstract #3


For more about Joana and her artwork click on the links below:


No comments:

Post a Comment