Monday, February 9, 2015

Valentine Fabric Tag Tutorial by Laney McDonald





Hi there! This is Laney from Sugarplum Patchwork and I'm happy to share this Valentine fabric tag tutorial with you today.  This is a quick little tag to stitch and you can vary the design based on the colors/fabrics you choose. I made two versions so you can get some ideas.


What you will need:

scrap fabrics
cardboard from an old cereal box, etc.
sewing machine (or hand sewing thread and needle)
embroidery floss and embroidery needle - optional
stamps and stamp pad  - optional
ribbon


What you will do:

Choose fabrics. For my first design, I chose an old upholstery fabric sample for my main fabric. I love the texture in this piece. And I chose a satin-y lining fabric in pink for the hearts. For my second tag I used some hand painted canvas I created a few years ago.

Cut the background fabric to 5" x 6"

You will fold it in half right sides together and stitch along the long edge and across the bottom to make the body of the tag. Leave the top edge open.Turn it right side out.
It should measure about 2  3/4 x 4  3/4 inches - depending on the thickness of your fabric. Like this pic below. I have already cut my hearts out and started playing around with where I want them.  ;)  But let's get back to the program!


Cut a piece of cardboard to about 4 3/8  x   2  3/8 inches. Don't worry too much about this measurement, just get close. Err on the side of too big rather than too small.


Put cardboard inside the fabric pocket. Trim the cardboard slightly, if needed.



Stitch the remaining end closed. You can turn the edges under or leave the raw edge out depending on the look you prefer. Stitch all the way around the card just in from the edge.






Cut two hearts from the pink fabric. (Unless you've already gotten ahead like I did!)

Stitch them to the card.

Then stitch the words "Be" and "Mine" on the hearts with free motion stitching. Or you could embroider the words or stamp them onto fabric. That's what I did for the second tag.

Use embroidery thread to stitch straight stitches along one side if you like.

Using scissors, make a hole in the top of the fabric card and tie the ribbon through it.

Enjoy!



Happy Valentine's Day!


 Share your tags with us in the Facebook group!



You can find me here:

No comments:

Post a Comment