Monday, December 22, 2014

A Different Tag Post by Lori Leissner





Tis the season for tags it seems.  I love making tags. It's a quick, easy and inexpensive way to be creative.  If you want to be creative this time of year, quick, easy and inexpensive is definitely the way to go.

This little project is even less expensive than the norm because we are reusing clothing tags.  I  have a confession: I sometimes purchase clothing based on the quality of their tags.  The shorts that came with this awesome tag were not necessarily better than the alternatives (in spite of all the stretchy talk). The tag made the sale.  It was a good size and especially sturdy.  After this post, you are totally going to be checking tags. Now's a good time, too!   Those jeans you got your kid for Christmas?  Go check the tags!!!!





This tag had a plastic coating on it, which is probably why it was so sturdy and why I liked it so much.  I'll save you the trouble of all the paint peeling off and tell you to give it a good sanding first to rough it up.




Now gesso!   Yours won't look this smooth though because this was before all the paint peeled off and I had to sand it.




Use a heat gun or blow dryer to make it even speedier if, for example, you need it for a gift tag for a party you will attend in an hour (and you still don't have any makeup on).




Grab some complementary colors.





Slap some paint on there. Literally, you do not have to be all neat and tidy. You don't even have to cover all the gesso. That's what's so fun about this!  You're going to sand it again, and you want some of the other layers to show through, so just get some paint on there however you want.  Make sure it's dry.  Then sand it off slightly so the gesso and the bottom original color shows through a little.




Then paint another color on top.  Also let that layer dry and sand it a little, especially the edges.




Now you can paint your image.  I chose a bouquet of roses in a vase.


 


Use a Sharpie pen (not a Sharpie marker...a Sharpie pen...they work so much better over paint) and a white Uniball Signo  pen (the only white pen I've found to work all the time) to add embellishments.  Then add some words.  I think all art is a little better with some words.




Finally, add some frilly yarn and ribbons and spritz with a little clear coat and let dry.  These make great gift tags. This one is so sturdy, it could even be a Christmas ornament.  I especially love them as book markers. For a super quick gift, print out an Amazon gift card and use washi tape to attach this cute tag to the envelope.



Catch up with me on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/LeissnerArt 

My website here: http://www.leissnerart.com/ 

Instagram here:  http://instagram.com/leissnerart


Or Twitter:  https://twitter.com/leissnerart



Come join us for more cre8ive ideas and crafty connections at our Facebook group:

Cre8ive Klatch

3 comments:

Janet said...

Very good idea! And, yeah, the clothing tag thing? I can feel myself becoming addicted already!

Lori Leissner said...

If you make one, share it, Janet! I'd love to see it!

Melissa AuClair said...

I love repurposing items into lovely pieces of art! I'm going to have to try this!

Post a Comment