Monday, October 13, 2014

Getting To Know The Cre8ive Crew: Sally Rose

This is a talented gal you will want to know better!  

Her name is Sally Rose and she’s originally from Minneapolis, Minnesota.



She is fascinated by all forms of creative expression and currently has a passion is for mixed media with an emphasis on acrylic painting.


How often do you create?

As often as I can. We are currently building a new home for ourselves, so I have been focused on that project. But I always keep at least a sketchbook and art journal handy for when inspiration strikes.

How do you know when a piece is finished?

That is always tough. I find that my work is always better and closer to my vision if I don't over think the process. I know that life should inspire our art, but more often I find it interrupts the process of creating. But frequently I will be called away for some non­emergency only to return and discover that I had finished the piece without realizing it. Those times are kind of magical.

When/how did you realize your life had to have art in it?

I have always had art in my life, I cannot remember a time when I wasn't doing something arty, in some way or another. Even when my children were small and my energies focused solely on them, I created. It just manifest in other ways, sewing their clothes, making quilts and decorating our home. All these things are art forms and expressions of creativity.



Sally Rose Flowers


Tell us how your creativity blends over into the rest of your life?

“Being creative isn't a hobby, it's a way of life!” I mentioned earlier that we are building our home. This will be the third time for us. I do the design work, layout, landscaping and tile setting. We both do the construction and heavy lifting, but the vision is mostly mine for how it all goes together. It's like working on the biggest canvas possible!

Give a couple of tips on how you stay organized. (This doesn't have to be about your art or studio, could just be life, office, kids...whatever)

“A place for everything and everything in it's place”. Ha, just kidding! I am very disorganized and when I am in the middle of a project everything comes out and gets thrown around. I do think it helps to have a dedicated space in which to work, especially if you are trying to carve out a bit of creative play time in the middle of a busy schedule. If you have to keep packing everything away so your family can eat at the dining table, you'll waste what little time you do have. You should also love your space. Decorate it in the colors and style you love. If your space makes you happy, it will be reflected in your work. I love pretty and eclectic storage containers, like vintage vases full of aquarium gravel to hold my paint brushes, pencils and pens.

If you could hang out with any artist dead or alive who would it be and why?

I would love to have met Vincent Van Gogh. An amazing artist, and a complicated man. For him it was all about the art. No matter what his personal pain or his circumstances, he made art. He was able to capture ordinary scenes and objects and make them magical with unexpected colors.

Sally's Owl


Do you believe that only some are creative or that everyone is creative in some way? Why?

I do believe that everyone is creative in someway or another. It may be in their cooking, housekeeping, home decorating or clothing. It may be in how they keep their books, run their shop, write letters or landscape their yard. It is human nature to be creative, your gift may not be in the traditional arts, but it is there!

If money were no object in what country, place, or on what planet would you live? ...and why?

A temperate island near the water with a lovely studio in a grove of trees. The walls would be open to the outdoors and there would be a beautiful well maintained garden to wander through. Because that would be heaven on earth!

Are you an introvert or extrovert? How do you feel about that?

I am an introvert that is masquerading as an extrovert. I get along well with others and can deal with a crowd, but as soon as I am home it's like flipping a switch. If I went a week without seeing another person, I would be fine with that.

Sally's Enthusiasm Goose



Choose an imaginary friend who would it be and why?

I would love to have a big fluffy Saber-tooth tiger to snuggle with! Maybe multicolored like in the movie, “The Croods”. What a cutie!

What is your earliest childhood memory?

My Grandmother telling me I had to use the yellow crayon to color my sun because that's what color the sun was...I was angry because I wanted to use red!

If we all came to your house for dinner what would you make for us?

Homemade pizza, biscuits and gravy and peanut butter chocolate chip cookies.

Sally's Listen Flower


For more of Sally’s beautiful art please click on the links below:


No comments:

Post a Comment